Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sewing Room & New Look A6094

A view from my mess sewing room. I'm working on a quick project, since I'm always for wont of dresses!

I picked up New Look's A6094 pattern a while back because I was, well, bored. New Look are, how you say... economical patterns and I think I got this one for under $3. And, frankly, it works like a cheap pattern. The total ease in this particular pattern is 2 1/2", so in my (limited) experience, there will be a lot of fitting to make the dress look nice.

 I've already had to modify the bodice, but that didn't come as a surprise to me, since I usually have to do that with every pattern. My "problem" is that I have a smaller bust, but a larger waist. So I generally cut the pattern to fit my waist, then alter accordingly (my boobs just ain't that big!) The sleeves of this are going to be frustrating:
The pattern doesn't have the sleeve go all the way around, leaving a large unfinished gap by the armpit. The solution that they provide is using bias tape...I'm not too thrilled with this.

The fabric that I'm working with is a vintage full-sized bed sheet that I picked up for like maybe $4 at St. Vincent De Paul's. Sheets are one of my favorite 'secret' resources for fabric. They are a decent amount of fabric (enough to make a dress with a full skirt), you can find some pretty cool and interesting patterns and THEY ARE CHEAP!

Never enough projects.......never enough dresses......

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever finish this up? I bought this pattern a few days ago--found your blog and well, here i am!
    Im thinking olive and white toile with some solid olive bits, but i really like that fabric you chose as well.
    Thanks for the blog, you are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I did end up finishing it up, and I rather like it. I'll post some pictures soon! I think olive and white would look divine!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda: I bought this pattern over the weekend and ran into some issues too. I had to rework the bodice as it didnt make sense at all. Did you run into issues with the skirt? It seemed like it was missing information and I had too many pieces to be logical. Any thoughts would be awesome! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete