Friday, June 27, 2014

Wedding Dress Success! Simplicity 1775 & Simplicity 1876 Part One








So, as I've said in a previous post, I made my wedding dress. The fact was that I couldn't find what I wanted in my price range (under $500). I know I had a very small budget for the dress, but I figured it was a Vegas wedding- I didn't need to go balls to the wall!

Elandra--2 Piece, Lace and Silk Wedding Dress
 I started with finding my inspiration. I scoured Etsy and eBay for vintage dresses. Too bad I don't have a size 2 rib cage...... But I did fall in love with Leann Marshall's design.

I did some more research and realized she has a line of patterns with Simplicity, and I could probably finagle something out of those!
    I used the bodice from 1876 and then made 3 different skirt bottoms, because, well,  I couldn't make up my mind. I did 2 skirts from 4070 and the one skirt from 1755 (which I've made before and loved)
What a goonie face...

The first one has no pleats, just cut on the bias. It's a very flattering cut, but just wasn't enough of a statement for a wedding dress. Dress 2 has some pleats.  I liked the volume it added, but still not enough. Dress 3 has millions (ok, not millions) of knife pleats, giving the skirt tons of volume.

Step one: Done!


No comments:

Post a Comment