Friday, August 23, 2013

Fall for Cotton: Picking Fabric and Pattern


I am soooo excited to be doing the Fall for Cotton vintage sewing challenge! I've been following Tasha at by gum, by golly for a while now, and when I saw this, I knew I had to join. I've never done a sew a long, but this one really seemed like that best place to start.  The idea is to fall in love with cotton and all it's versatility. That being said, the fabrics chosen should be 100% cotton (or as absolutely close as possible). The pattern should be vintage or vintage inspired. You can see why this all spoke to me.
The biggest challenge, thus far, is determining whether or not the fabric is 100% cotton or a cotton blend.... :/ I've followed some advice and tutorials on assisting in figuring this out, but to be honest...I'm still confused. I did burn tests and all I got from it was a pile of ashes, haha! But I will persevere! I will do this!

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous blog you have!! I have sewn all of those retro butterick patterns above. I think the top one from 47 was my favorite! The walkaway dress needed some alterations to get right...and the halter dress was also to die for! I actually found a stripe fabric that was identical to the pattern envelope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, can I just officially freak out because Brittany from Va-voom Vintage has just commented on my blog ?! Thank you so much! I've been a fan of you for a while, and have been somewhat of an inspiration to get me started blogging .

      ok, now that I've calmed down: i did the walkaway before, but just couldn't get the fit right. i thought about trying again because i would love it in my wardrobe. But they all look so mummy to me :)

      Delete
    2. Auto-Correct on phones=confusing statements. I meant to say that you've been an inspiration for me, and that they all look so YUMMY to me....

      ...mummy?...WTH....

      Delete