Tuesday, August 6, 2013

In the Garden

I'm getting so excited for our garden! In this aspect, time cannot go fast enough. We planted our garden a little late in the season, I believe it was after Memorial Day. Initially, I was a bit worried but because of our procrastination, we missed a late frost! Our garden was saved and after planting it has been a waiting game.....


....I'm not good with waiting games.

We knew we wanted tomatoes and bell peppers because we eat them all the time. I also wanted plants that I could preserve for enjoyment later in the year. The watermelon was the Man's idea, a "why not" purchase. The onions were an after thought, they looked dried up and dead and I had no idea what they required. I must be doing something right, they seem to be thriving.

Ripen already!
There are 4 variety of tomatoes: Celebrity, Heinz Heirloom, Black....um....something-or-other, and one other kind (I'm embarrassed I can't remember at the moment....). I have many plans for *hopefully* the bounty. Salsa, marinara, ketchup, fried green tomatoes at the end of the season.


The Bell Peppers are slow to get going, and I'm hesitant about what we are going to yield. There are 3 types: Early, Yellow and Red.

And then of course, the herbs! From my experience, Basil and Oregano are the easiest to grow. They are prolific and very little tending. I just keep pinching the tops off and they keep spreading!


My little garden helper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment